Saturday, November 10, 2007

Teary-eyed at a Tide Commercial

I'm not sure why, but every time I see this commercial, I get teary eyed.



I have some theories, however:

-"Linus and Lucy" is a nostalgic song, no matter who you are.
-That little boy looks like my older brother as a child, so white-blonde-haired, toothy and energetic
-That blanket thing really resonates with me, as I have had a few security blankets myself.

I'm sure every woman (or sensitive guy) reading this has experienced something similar, and whether it is a commercial, a song or an image that makes our hormones, biological clocks or nostalgia kick in and drives us to tears, I'd like to examine this idea.

What kind of unsuspected silly things make you cry? Are there days when looking at a cute picture of a puppy might bring the waterworks? Don't you always feel better after you've sobbed?

Please provide examples/links/stories.

4 comments:

Lauren C said...

for me it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

everytime.

Miss ya Shawno! - Lauren

LKPheartsfood said...

For me, top awards go to that Ebay commercial with the redheaded boy who loses his toy boat (only to find it as a grown man on Ebay). Can't keep it together when I see that. Oh..and those ridiculous Kleenex commercials where people sit down on a couch in the middle of a busy street (ie Flatiron District) and start talking about their lives and the next thing you know they're dabbing away the tears and so am I. Oh..and pretty much every movie/tv show I've ever seen when they start to play the cheesy string music.
I'm such a girl.

KJW said...

The West Wing - whenever they go for a viewer reaction, they get it from me.

Emily said...

Hey Shawn- i was checking out your blog because I saw you had a potential job opportunity.
I love that you mentioned this- I was never as sentimental as I've been in the last two years and the weirdest things make me tear up, including: when people say to think about who inspires you- I tear up not even thinking of someone! My number one tear jerker is the song 'I'll be seeing you' Billie Holiday's verison especially- it makes me think of old couples whose spouses have died.
Here's a really corny version:
http://solosong.net/seeingyou/seeingyou.html