It was the first time Mike and I had been to a music event together and because we have such similar music tastes, it was fun to kind of show him how energetic I am about my music. We hung out in the bar downstairs (one of three in the venue) and all of the sudden Matt Embree was just chilling out. Talking with everyone, totally nonchalant. I wanted to talk to him, but having just come from work to go to the show I was greasy and geeky-looking so I admired him from afar (this is why you don't see any photos of Mike and I either).
This week has also been good because the magazine is ready to close, meaning we're done with this issue and just putting the finishing touches on everything before we ship it out. It's always exciting for me to be part of this process, knowing my hard work is going into something really awesome that has my name on it (even if it is just in the 'interns' section).
I'm not going to be home for Thanksgiving, which I didn't really see as a big deal at the beginning. Being a vegetarian, it's never really been my favorite holiday because I am condemned to eat green beans and mashed potatoes (while delicious, not so nutritious). But now that it's a matter of just not being able to afford to fly across the country to see my family, it seems more unfair than ever. Plus, knowing my extended family, because I am not there, I will be gossiped about the most. Mike might have to work (really, who eats over-priced 'new American' food on Thanksgiving instead of cooking a loving meal themselves?), in which case I might try to volunteer at a local food bank. There are probably few times when I'll be able to do this, so I thought, why not? I bet no one feels more alone on the holidays than those who are really truly alone in the city.
My favorite accessory lately has been this purple scarf my mom knitted me a couple years ago. The yarn is a few shades of purple and the fringe is long. I can wrap it about three times around my neck, and it smells like winter, like home, like warmth. In the liquor store the other night, a European man commented how nice it was and I proudly announced "My mom made it!" He nodded. "Yes, it looks hand-made." I don't care what anybody says about me wearing it almost every day. It's soft and wonderful and reminds me of winter at home.
And today I committed a very strange act in the life of someone not used to spending much money on anything. I spent $200 on a bag. I know, I know.... Being from the Northwest, spending that much on one item is basically a sin, not to mention just plain stupid (you could get like, six decent bags for that price!). But, having received an unexpected check from my old adviser reimbursing me for what I spent on the journalism conference, and having an old bag that hurts my shoulders and back every day, I decided it's an OK investment. And then I came home and ate soup for dinner. Which I will be doing for the next couple of nights.
Still doing pretty damn good,
Shawno

1 comment:
aw, i know how east-coast holidays w/o family are. it does suck. :(
the thanksgiving i spent in Boston, i didn't think it was that big of a deal, except that EVERYTHING is shut down that day, and work was closed, and my roommate and all of my friends were gone with family... so i was home alone, with nothing but netflix to keep me company. lonely, for sure.
however, my mom actually sent me an ENTIRE thanksgiving dinner with everything but the Turkey - mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, greenbean casserole, etc. When i openned the package, i was so fucking ecstatically happy and sad all at one time i started bawling my eyes out and i called her and couldn't get a full sentence out for about 2 minutes.
I'll be thinking about you, shawn - much love from the Westside. :)
Post a Comment