I got up absurdly early. I made sure I had my portfolio all ready, I had a couple issues of Audubon to study up on when I was on the train. I had the powder to make my face look less shiny, I had the bagel with cream cheese on it for sustenance, my cell phone in case I got completely lost and I dressed the part:
Tony drove me to the train station just before 11. He told me a good route to walk home since nobody would be picking me up, which was helpful. Both he and Samantha have been so helpful and supportive. The zookeepers are okay people.The fat man at the ticket counter was on the phone. It seemed like he was talking to a buddy he talks to every day, maybe setting up tonight's poker game or talking shit about their mutual buddy. I didn't know what to do so I kinda just stood there in front of the booth.
"Hey, Miss, where are you going?"
"Grand Central, round trip please."
Without hanging up, fat man gave me my credit slip to sign and my ticket. I sat down. Right over the air conditioning vent and opened up one of the issues of Audubon my dad had given me to study. I thought of all the different questions they might ask me: "What section do you like best in the Magazine?" Global Almanac. Bam. "What elements of the magazine do you like" Photography and first person, sincere writing. Shabang. It was like studying for a midterm where you haven't really been to most of the classes. Not that I've ever done that.
Got a nice seat to myself on the train and rode on in to Grand Central with some tunes playing in my ears. All I kept thinking to myself was, "hey, just look like you know where you're going and nobody will bother you." Got off at Grand Central:
Again, didn't take the picture but this is what it looks like. It's quite an architectural marvel. Walking out of track 23 and seeing that clock in the middle of everything was familiar.Now... I have a keen sense of observation. And when I saw people walking around with Starbucks, I knew just where to go. Ordered a double tall non-fat vanilla latte and got a tall decaf vanilla latte. Maybe I need to articulate more. (Northwesterners are coffee snobs).
Hopped on the 4 express, transferred the R and got to 8th street just like that. I'd given myself plenty of time to get completely lost, therefore I was there an hour and a half early. So, I went into American Apparel, a couple of doors down from Audubon, and bought myself a black dress. The guy working the cash register was horribly attached to NYC. He asked me how my day was going, where I was from, etc. And when I told him he said, "Oh man, I'm from Long Island and when I go 'out there' I'm always waiting for something to happen. It's so boring out there."
Okay... Please don't come to the northwest with language like that. Kthanxbye.
So I arrived at the lobby of the freakin' Audbon society. The lobby guy was fantastic. Old. New York accent. Totally didn't know what he was doing, but he made me sign in just for kicks. I told him I had an interview and he said he hoped I did okay.
Went to my interview, and again, the woman with whom I'd been communicating was much younger than I expected. I had three editors asking me questions, I showed them my clip file which I felt like they were pretty impressed with but when everything was done, they shook my hand, showed me the out door and said goodbye.
Went back down to the lobby and the lobby guy (I'd like to call him 'Mac' I think) asked me how it went. "Okay, I guess?" He smiled at me as I pushed open the door onto Broadway.
I got right back on the train (hey, no mistakes on the subway, look, Ma!) toward South Norwalk. I bought Kite Runner from the bookstore at Grand Central. Read a few chapters then retreated to Rx Bandits. I was angry. I think it's because they won't take me seriously because I'm from the west coast.
I got off at South Norwalk with the Bandits in my ears and walked the hills home.
Dad says this is how most interviews go. He got turned down by Frank Russell five times, he said, so don't get discouraged. Mom said they have to be very neutral when they're on an interviewing committee. She doesn't want me to get it. I could tell by her comments:
"Well you know, you're used to achieving every goal you set, and maybe this one just won't work out."
No, Mom. The only time I ever fail, I know exactly why. This time... no idea what's going on. I will email the editor tomorrow and ask her when I should expect a reply about the job. I know she means well. Hell, I'd be out here until the end of January if I got the job. But... the opportunity!
Tonight I was alone in the house with all the animals for a few hours. Just as I turned on the Soccer channel, Maverick started playing with me with his tennis ball. He'd roll it to me, I'd kick it somewhere for him to catch. This kind of symbiotic relationship is beneficial to both parties. He cheered me up by wanting me to kick him the ball and I entertained him by kicking the ball around. Belle and Cleo were hopelessly lost in the midst while Mav and I played some soccer as I made some Mac and Cheese (Annies).
This weekend I shall go with Sam to the Italian festival (yay!) and I also have a date tomorrow which was supposed to celebrate me getting the internship, but maybe now it will be a kind of "let's feel sorry for Shawno" time.
Oh well, I get to come home earlier and there's less of a chance y'all will forget about me. That's what I'm counting on.

1 comment:
Bah, interviews suck. If the people at Audubon have any sense they'd hire you on the spot.
There is definitely something to that east coast 'holier than thou' attitude. I ran into that a lot on Semester at Sea, it took some adjusting to. If you're from the West coast (especailly Washington) you must be horribly backwards and inept. But they like out coffee, computers and Costco.
Hang in there on the Job front. It's frustrating as hell.
Post a Comment