Saturday, July 21, 2007

I live for the weekend

The beginning of this week was pretty fantastic. I got my clip online (http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3814), I'm working on some great stories and all the sudden my editor comes in to my little corner office. "Do you want to go to Peru?" I was kind of dumbfounded. "Well, yeah." He proceeded to tell me about a press trip to Peru, all expenses paid 10-day cruise on the Amazon with a naturalist guide, local chef, trips into native villages etc. etc. He said, "It's August 8 through the 18th. Do you think you can go?" I thought about it for a second. This is why I'm out here, to take opportunities like this. So I told him of course I could, put my name down as being interested. He asked the other two interns if they wanted to go but they couldn't because of school conflicts so I turned in my forms and papers, had Matt send me my passport and now I'm just crossing my fingers that the firm who's inviting us thinks E's coverage is what they want. It's one of those things I'm really trying not to get my hopes up about but it would be insanely awesome if I got to go. Wednesday I woke up to pouring rain. No way I was going to be able to ride Ol' Blue in this weather. Luckily Tony was up and gave me a ride into work. Biking around Norwalk has been very difficult. Cars don't look out for me, they drive too close and the other day some lady cut me off and I almost rear ended her. On top of that, one set of brakes is starting to poop out. Aww, Ol' Blue: Isn't she pretty? Wednesday night was Tony's birthday dinner. Sam and I concocted an amazing plan to take him to Mike's restaurant (he's a sous chef at a fancy restaurant in North Haven). Tony brought his two South African friends who live in White Plains, Jean and Leon. They're all from Cape Town, South Africa which is basically on the southern tip of the continent. These guys are both what I'd consider "white" but their first language is Afrikaans, a mix between native African languages and Dutch. Tony's parents are Afrikaans also, so these three big guys are crammed in the back seat of Sam's car, buzzed on more than a few light beers yelling in this crazy language to each other. Sam picks up bits and pieces of it, mostly the inappropriate parts. After about half an hour of the rest of the car inhabitants trying to convince me to go to the strip club with them after dinner (I just kept telling them, "Not my thing. It's just not my thing"), we arrived at the restaurant


After we'd ordered our drinks, Mike came out from the kitchen and Tony finally realized why we'd driven so far for dinner. Mike greeted us and then said he'd be sending out appetizers for us that weren't on the menu. We had tuna sashimi on top of watermelon ice on spoons with jalapeno on top. We had salmon tempura with wasabi mayo dipping sauce (my personal fav), antipasto, shrimp, so many delicious things I can't even remember them all. I ordered a salmon entree with an eggplant glaze and our dessert was to die for. I don't think I've ever had such a great dinner experience. He more than impressed all of us. These are the perks of dating a professional chef. I'm working on getting pictures of that night and I'll post them later.

The next day Mike and I headed to Rhode Island to hit up the beach (I take Thursdays off sporadically). The weather wasn't fabulous. But we had beer. Which we weren't supposed to have on the beach. But we drank it sneakily. So it was okay.


MikeyShawno

Confused self-shot on the beach.
So after the beach we went back to Mike's mom's. She gave me three cucumbers from their garden and her dog Cassie, a Welsh Corgy attacked me with her tongue. It was nice to chill in a nicer suburban area for awhile. Quieter. Greener.

How is anyone supposed to be productive on a Friday after a day at the beach? This is what I'd like to know. I got answers back from some of my sources, sent out some emails...

Last night I rounded up Jessica, one of the other interns and we met Mike and some of his friends at the Greenroom, that cool bar out in Black Rock.

Danielle (check out her Music is ART blog.) and Bill.

Mikey and John
Didn't get a pic of Jessica and I (damn). And Optimus Prime didn't show up (double damn) but we did see E's managing editor Brita, who supervises us both. And boy was she drunk. I wonder if she'll remember we saw her.

John Clary Davies called to inform me that the reign of Jersey had fallen (all the boys moved out) and he's bought a car and is now couch hopping at various friends'. I don't think I'll ever be able to handle someone else living at the top of Jersey street.

After the Greenroom we headed to a diner for some drunken eats. All I had to say was "I'm eating toast," and it got Bill and I laughing our heads off for about half an hour. I gotta keep this kid around.

Jessica took me home. We got there at about 2:30 and I was fumbling so much with my keys that Tony came down to let me in. "I thought you were here already," he said. Nope. Intern outing. It had to be done.

So now I need to go catch the train to Grand Central to meet up with my cousin Audra. This should be a fabulous time. Pictures shall follow!

1 comment:

Keith said...

mikey is the cute one! :D remember that you're taking me to Peru.