Blogging somehow become less of a priority when you work for two weeks straight, while at the same time getting ready for a cross-country road trip.
This is my last issue at Audubon, and yes, it is pretty sad. I've only ever felt like a real journalist while I've been working there, despite all the bullshit I had to go through as an intern. I've gotten my best clips there, met some amazing people in the process and I'm glad I spent the better part of 8 months there. I am going to continue to freelance with Audubon, as well as contribute to their flowering blog. Please check out my first blog for them:
http://magblog.audubon.org/node/69
This is only the first of many ranting posts about half-assed environmentalism I hope to make. It may be elitist, but at least it's honest. The normal Joe can do so much more for the environment than he thinks. And the high paid people are definitely not doing enough. I hope to reach both groups.
Meanwhile, Mike and I are planning our epic cross country trip.
View Larger Map
This is our trip (roughly). We're heartily planning it.
Meanwhile... just as you are so happy to leave somewhere, you are so aware of the good things about where you live. Going to open-air brunch on Saturdays... Randomly finding Farmers' Markets... When I came home and walked around my Astoria neighborhood, I saw a wedding, shining in the sun. All the guests waited for the couple to come out. They were 50 feet from the elevated subway. I choked back tears as I watched that couple triumphant, emerging from the sun-glazed stone of the orthodox Greek church. So many things you might hate about this place... in the context of all that is good, you never notice how much everything around you is truly beautiful in its own way.
Despite that, we are ready to go. Both of us are eager to find jobs where we will be happier, and moving in together ain't so bad either. I love this kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
All the best to you both! Hopefully you'll let your blog fans know how it all turns out for you on the West Coast. :)
Post a Comment